25 October, 2007

How long is too long?

What I'm Listening To:

Artist: The Cure
Song: Wendy Time
Album: Wish

----------

Apparently almost 6 months - that's too long. I don't think I can apologize enough. I have plenty to update on, but don't have much time - so I'll do my best to type like a caffeinated secretary. Here goes...

As of August, I have been enrolled at Specs Howard School of Broadcast Arts in Southfield, Michigan. I'm hoping to learn a ton for a future career in radio (I'd love to be a station voice or narrate documentaries on TV). School is going quite well. Had I as much enthusiasm for school when I was at SMS as I do now, I would have done considerably better. Of course this is a specialized program that I'm much more interested in than anything involving a Gen-Ed core. I'm done with the first 8-week quarter and well into the second. I'm very proud to report a cumulative 4.0 for first quarter (especially since my best attempt at SMS resulted in a 0.5) where I missed perfect attendance by one ridiculous tardy (long story). We'll see how this quarter goes. I have all new classes with new instructors, save one teacher from last quarter. The program is pretty intensive to begin with, as there is a lot of material to cover in the 8 months we're there - and this coursework is definitely more challenging than the first (understandably so). I am really looking forward to the end of this quarter, because then students must decide between a radio or video concentration (thankfully no 'camps' are involved). Because of this, from third quarter on, each group will be considerably smaller. I am planning to go radio, and my hope is that the idiots who make class difficult by asking stupid questions (often times more than once!) and being disruptive/distracting either go video or go home so that I don't have to deal with them any more! However, one can only hope - and time can only tell.

One of the biggest changes in my life since the last post is that I have joined the ranks of married folk. As of 07/07/07, Janae Swartzlander became Janae Robertson and I became an extremely happy fellow. We were very privileged to honeymoon in the UK. After a week in London, we took a train up to Edinburgh and spent a week there. We have an official crap-ton of pictures that I would love to put online somewhere so I can just put a link up for folks to check out. The best we've done so far is each of us have a few honeymoon pictures on our respective myspace pages. Other than Janae getting very sick our last day there, it was an amazing trip.

After the wonderful wedding and unbelievable honeymoon, we immediately relocated to the Detroit area so Janae could start her residency to become a certified Orthotist. Unless one of us has already explained it to you, you're probably saying, "ortho-what?" It's similar to a Prosthetist (who makes prosthetics) - but instead of making artificial limbs and such to replace what is missing, orthotics assist in the movement and development of what is already there. So, she makes cranial helmets to help properly shape growing children's heads, braces to correct scoliosis, devices to assist in walking, etc. Anyway, next August, she'll be a board-eligible orthotist and will receive her certification after taking the Boards exam in the Spring of '09. Barring how things go with that, and for my future career, we might be in the Detroit area for quite a while. We'll see how things go. It's beautiful up here, and we don't talk to anyone outside of my class and her work - so we'd love a visit from any of you Springfieldians!

Well, I need to get ready for school so I must end this post. I will give my best effort to post again in a much more reasonable amount of time than my last one :) Until then...

Cheers.

----------

What I'm Listening To:

Artist: Mojave 3
Song: When You're Drifting
Album: In The Desert

1 comment:

Adam Harshman said...

Good to hear from you again. I would like to encourage said Springfieldians to visit Detroit but I have one word of advice...actually a sentence of advice...Let Moose drive. They have crap-for-roads up there and they invented their own set of driving rules. Wanna make a left turn???Too bad you have to take a right, turn into the gas station parking lot, rotate your tires, cut through the parking lot, take another right and the teleport yourself where you want to go. So good luck with that. Much love to the Mooselberry.