26 September, 2006

Straight Outta Lynwood

I am a little irritated I didn't get much time to blog yesterday (and I wasn't able to at all on Sunday), but maybe this will make up for it. I posted yesterday, primarily for Big Daddy Harshman, but I'm glad other folks enjoyed it as well. Today's post is related to yesterdays because as of 12:01 this morning, Weird Al's new album hit stores - yay! I don't know that I'll get as much out of this album because I don't listen to the radio except for select shows on KSGF (mainly Boortz and Savage) and a few Saturday programs on NPR (Whaddya Know, Car Talk, and Prarie Home Companion). Why would that matter, you ask? Well, Al's art centers around his uncanny ability to parody mainstream artists and songs. Since I don't listen to much mainstream music, I won't know many of the songs he's making fun of. I only understood "White and Nerdy" because I have heard a bunch of white guys in their souped-up Neons and Civics (complete with fart-tube exhaust system) blast that ridiculous Chamillionare song through their tinted windows. I will say with 100% confidence that Al's rendition is much better.

I don't get paid until Friday so I won't be able to pick the album up until then, but I am looking forward to it. I also will probably get a copy of the Weird Al Show on DVD - fantastic stuff. I'd just like to say how much I appreciate Al for being so gosh darn clever with his lyrics - and is still able to keep them G rated for the most part. I love that. Big Daddy Harshman and myself have a long-standing pact that he and I would go see a Weird Al concert together sometime. Well, buddy; maybe this album tour will realize the fulfillment of our agreement - let's see how close he's gonna get to Springburg!

Best wishes to you all for a great day doing whatever you're doing. I should see most of you tonight at Gaylon's. Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been so looking forward to this album, but I didn't think it was out 'till Friday. I guess I have to go get it on my lunch break today.