17 October, 2006

It's just a flesh wound!

I'll start this off with a warning. I have been taking some fairly hardcore pain medication (which will be explained further along in this post) and it makes me really mellow and groggy, so this post may be a bit weird. That being said, let's get this done:

Artist: me
Song: fingers typing on a keyboard
Album: my computer is up and running, but I don't have speakers for my tunes yet

About those pain pills... I had a fantastic day on Friday, I was done with my required duties (as per my job description) by noon. I took the opportunity to find projects around the store that needed to be done. The last of these projects was straightening all of the guitar hooks and fixing all the price tags on the guitars in said hooks. I got about a 3rd of the way around the store, when an amp I was standing on (to reach an insanely high guitar hook) tipped over, tipping me over with it. I took a fairly hard fall (it wasn't the distance I fell, so much as it was me weighing almost 250 pounds) and landed on my right foot at a rather unnatural angle. I thought it was just a slight injury and tried to shake it off, but then I started getting really nauseous and my vision became blurry and spotty. I thought it might be a good idea to sit down for a few minutes to avoid passing out, so I did. Once I felt I could make the trek home, I got in my car and did just that.

I called Janae and told her what happened, she recommended I elevate it and all that stuff, but if I was going to be up and around (which she correctly assumed I would be - cabin fever doesn't take but about 15 minutes to set in for me sometimes), to go and get a cane or set of crutches - something to help keep the weight off the foot to speed the healing process along as quickly as possible. I reluctantly took her advice (you know, being a man and all, I'm supposed to be able to suck it up and ignore pain... yeah, right.) and went to Walgreens to check out their selection of mobility assistance products and found the least expensive item I could - a cane that comes apart and folds up for easy storage.

Fast forward to Saturday...

I wake up and my foot is throbbing. It looks like Sherman Klump's foot from The Nutty Professor - except it's not black. Anyway, it really doesn't hurt too bad when I put on an ankle brace, a sock, and my shoe; so I get my cane, take my computer stuff out to the car, and head over to church to meet with Mr. Alan Davis. I get it all put together, but between making the new parts work with the old parts and all of the STUPID updates that friggin' Microsuck makes you do (and to make it worse, they make you reboot between every single stinkin' update - AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!! Yeah, I want a Mac so bad, it sucks they're so darn expensive!), I was there for 8 hours! Anyway, after that I went to my friend Chris' house for this month's UFC Pay-Per-View fight night. Between the fighting, the sweet tea, and the Bagel Bites (which are awesome, in case anyone hasn't ever tried them), I didn't really think about my foot much. I went to bed and my foot was feeling alright, once I propped it up under a couple of pillows.

On to Sunday...

I got almost no sleep Saturday night, I kept tossing and turning, and my foot would hit the wall and it'd make me wake up - not a good night. Anyway, I'm supposed to be at church early to run sound for 1st service since Clint wasn't going to be there. I set my alarm the night before and somehow managed to either not turn it on at all, or turned it off without even remembering I did so. Whatever happened, I didn't get up in time for early church. I jumped out of bed, forgetting about Friday's injury, and then yelled quite loudly when I was reminded. Fast forward - I'm at church, hobbling around like a friggin' gimp with my cane, and Gaylon yells, "Moose, what did you do!" I explained what had happened and he asked if it was turning colors, I said that it wasn't and he said, "that's good, 'cause when I broke my ankle it turned about the color of your jeans." I was relieved... until I got home... My foot was really starting to bother me, so I took off my shoes and socks - my foot had a couple of red splotches up by my toes and a big purpley-brown mark forming just under the ankle bone. So, remembering Gaylon's words I called Janae to get some advice (she's much more medically savvy than I am) and she recommended I go see the doctor first thing Monday morning. I called my Mom to tell her what had happened and to ask for her prayers and she practically screamed at me to get to the ER immediately.

I have to get back to work, so I'll make this already boring long story short. I went to the ER, they X-Ray'd my foot, told me they couldn't see any breaks, gave me an ACE wrap, an air cast, and a perscription for some pain medication, and sent me on my merry little way. I started taking the pain pills yesterday, but only took one pill at a time instead of the suggested dosage of two since I was at work and didn't know what two would do to me. I found out what two would to do me today... Two pills of Darvocet make me sick to my stomach, groggy, sensitive to noise, and more mellow than I care to be. So, there you have it folks. I will try and make it to Gaylon's tonight, but if I'm less than lively - you know why.

Oh, if you were wondering what the title has to do with anything related to this post - it doesn't, it's just written on the T-shirt I'm wearing. Cheers.

5 comments:

Monique said...

I still think you should pimp out your cane. Sorry you're foot is still ailing you, man. Seriously, when you told me you fell off an amp all I could think of was you pulling an 80's hairband move...minus the hair.

Janae Robertson said...

I'd send you my crutches to hobble around on, but they're slightly smaller than what you would need...and by slightly, I mean they come up to your knee. Plus, I sorta need them to walk...a minor detail... :) I love you and I wish I could be there to take care of you and make you soup and laugh at you on pain pills!

Andy said...

that doesn't sound fun. i was wondering why you were sitting on Sunday morning. i figured it was just for style.
i hope care group was fun tonight. i had a work commitment. anyway, heal fast and see you soon.

Monique said...

no, i didn't take the prescription. they offered, but i didn't feel like shelling out monies for said medicine. i'm just taking ibuprofen right now. lesson learned, i will never make fun of you again...for awhile at least.

Todd said...

Did they give you a pink ace bandage? That would have been sooooo sweet.