29 October, 2006

The menu is like a book now, innit?

What I'm listening to:

Artist: Kenna
Song: Man Fading
Album: New Sacred Cow


Hooray for iTunes! I don't know why, but all last week it wasn't working. Every time I'd try and open it, Windows would show an iTunes error and would not let it open. I tried rebooting the computer, it didn't work. I tried doing a repair install - that didn't work either. I tried deleting it, then completely reinstalling it - still not working! So I spent all week being mad at Windows (moreso than usual) and the fact that it wasn't letting me open iTunes. I know Microsoft hates Apple, and rightly so - Apple really has their crap together and offers much better products, operating systems, and software. Oh, well - someday when I have lots of money, I'll probably get a Mac. Until then, however; I will put up with my PC and it's unfortunate dependancy on Microsoft products.

Oh, yeah - I forgot to mention (in case the listing of an actual song at the top didn't clue you in) iTunes is working now :) I don't know what happened, but this morning I tried one more uninstall of iTunes and then rebooted. When Windows was up and running again, I downloaded it one more time and did the install. When it was done - no error messsage, hooray! So I have been enjoying some tunage ever since getting back from church.

In sad news, I found out yesterday that my Grandma (from my Dad's side, my only living Grandmother) has three aneurisms in her brain. I knew about one of them a couple of years ago, but what I didn't know was how serious that particular one was. It's located near the base of her neck, in a place that's too dangerous for them to try any sort of operation on. So, basically I could be completely Grandmother-less really anytime now. I don't know why, but it really hit me hard going home - like I got this really awful feeling that I wasn't going to see her again before she leaves this world. My mom's parents both passed away over 10 years ago, and I am sad they will only be at my wedding in spirit. I keep hoping God will let both of my living grandparents be at my wedding in July.

I have sort of a different (at least when I compare it to what I see around me) relationship with most of my family. I feel like a bit of an unintentional black sheep. I say unintentional because I don't blame anyone for me feeling that way. I don't really have much in common with most of my family with the exception of DNA and a last name. Nobody in my family plays music and none of them are interested in things I'm interested in. And adversely, I'm not interested in things the rest of my family is interested in. The Robertsons usually talk about either farming, sports, card games, or any combination of the above. I am not particularly interested in those things so we rarely have anything to converse about. The Howes are so spread out that I don't get to see many of them very often at all. When I do get to see them, their lives (including socio-economic class) are so different than mine that it creates a barrier of interests between me and them. No one on either side of my family plays any musical instruments and none of them enjoy the same kinds of television, movies, music, humour, etc. that I do. Ugh, it's very frustrating when I'm around family. I mean, I love them because they're family, but I almost despise any kind of family get-togethers or holidays because after the joy of seeing folks I haven't seen in however long wears off, I'm ready to come back home where I have friends who's company I enjoy much more.

I am so grateful for the friends I've made in Springfield, especially those folks I've known since before I lived here (Dave, Kip, Angela, Mo - I appreciate you so much!) I know once Janae and I get married, we probably won't be in Springfield (due to a career-essential obligation of Janae's that will force us somewhere outside southwest Missouri), at least not until she is done with her residency. We'd love to be able to come back and settle here, and we hope God gives us that opportunity when we are looking for a place to relocate to after her residency. Whatever happens to us and to our friends, I sincerely hope and pray that life and distance will not separate us too much. The folks who read this who don't know me very well, I hope that can change in the very near future. The folks who do know me fairly well, I'm grateful for you putting up with me! I appreciate all of you who put up with me, my bald head, my jokes (however inappropriate they may be at times), my musical tastes, my foot odor, and my poor grammar. You all are fantastic!

So - hooray for friends, hooray for iTunes, and hooray for the Cardinals (even though I couldn't really care less about sports, it's cool to see a 'hometown' team like that go that far). I know we aren't meeting at Gaylon's this week (thanks to those darn Pagans) so I will catch some of you there next week. Hopefully I will blog before then though. Also, Janae will be in town the week of Thanksgiving, so we will both be at Bible Study (and I'm making cider for that night - that's right, Angela - hopefully you can make it :) And don't forget about Weird Al's performance of 'White and Nerdy' on Leno this Thursday night (around 11:20 p.m. or so Central Time). Cheers.

3 comments:

Monique said...

Hey...man...let me tell you something...I heart you. I'm completely blessed by your friendship and inappropriate humor because mine is at the same level. Thanks for liking British things.

Christina said...

Moose you are great!! You are so much fun! Best of all, you make my good friend Janae extremely happy!! We truly hope you and Jane will find your way back to Springfield! :) You guys are going to be a FUN married couple! :)

Andy said...

sorry i'm just now getting an answer to you. west plains, lebanon, rolla, branson, and a little town in kansas. i hope your memory is refreshed and you are having a good week.